Flight 006. Google Flights is out of beta. The Bombardier CS300 is out of the hangar. A mobile passport is out at Miami Airport. Ryanair’s mobile future is out. Airbus is out with its Airwolf helicopter. Middle seats are out. But the MH370 mystery stays in.
Two shout outs this week. First to TheDesignAir for going live with their brand new podcast, The Aviator, it's really great and you should all subscribe!
Second to our own Alex who just released the first episode of his video travel show, Attaché. Take a look at the London episode. Paul attended the filming of Barcelona this week—what fun we had!
I. News of the week
WOW goes transatlantic
- Iceland's WOW air prepares fo new transatlantic routes — Alan Dron, ATW
- Ryanair to add cheap transatlantic flights, WiFi and more in the next three years — Kayla Hertz, IrishCentral
The economic impact of Emirates Airlines in Europe
Boeing and FedEx support OpenSkies
Bombardier flies its CS300
SouthWest misses inspections
- Southwest Airlines grounds 128 Boeing 737 airplanes for missed inspections — Terry Maxon, The Dallas Morning News
- Southwest for Now Can Use Planes That Missed Inspection — David Koenig, ABC News
United is brutally honest with its pilots
A new biggest plane ever made
- This Will Be the World's Largest Plane — John Wenz, Popular Mechanics
- Inside The Roc's Lair — Guy Norris, Aviation Week
- A 747 Gobs Solar Impulse From Switzerland To Abu Dhabi — Paul Papadimitriou, Layovers
The restoration of the first 747
- From rust bucket to showpiece: Volunteers are rescuing the first Boeing 747 — Ron Judd, The Seattle Times
II. Innovation in AirTech, PaxEx and Design
#MWC15: IBM showcases iOS app for airline industry
- Next IBM MobileFirst for iOS Apps Unveiled — IBM
- Apple - IBM Partnership Sprouts Latest Set Of Apps At Mobile World Congress — Ron Miller, Techcrunch
#MWC15: Virgin goes smartwatch
- Virgin Atlantic is testing Sony SmartWear, including EyeGlass, for engineer collaboration — Dave Neal, The Inquirer
- JAL Tests Smartwatch Broadcasts at Tokyo Haneda — Paul Papadimitriou, Layovers
#MWC15: American Airlines' Hackathon
Ryanair goes mobile-first
Options Away' future ticket lock
A mobile passport to get into the US
- Second Airport Offers Travelers Access to Mobile Passport App — Benet J. Wilson, Airways News
- Faster Airport Entry Into the USA with this Selfie iPhone App — Paul Papadimitriou, Layovers
Starwood and Uber join loyalty forces
Google Flights is out of beta
- Google Flights comes out of beta, but still isn't profitable — Sean O'Neill, Tnooz
- Here's what Google's super-fast flight search reveals about its product strategy — Jillian D'Onfro, Business Insider
Use ITA codes on HipMunk
Airbus goes AirWolf
III. App of the Week
IV. Debate of the week
One year into MH370's mysterious disappearance.
- The Vanishing — Sean Flynn, GQ
- 'Nobody cares any more': the relatives who went looking Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 — Jon Ronson, The Guardian
- MH370 hunt covers 40% of search area — Flightglobal
- MH370: Australian PM Abbott hints at scaled back search — BBC News
- How crazy am I to think I actually know where that Malaysia Airlines plane is? — Jeff Wise, NYMag
- To Keep Airplanes on the Map, Track Them from Space — Loren Grush, Popular Science
- Airlines Make Baby Steps on Flight Tracking a Year After Flight 370 Vanished — Scott Mayerowitz and David Koenig, AP
V. Question of the week
What seat would you recommend? Window, middle or aisle? by Deanne De Rego Hunter in Kent, UK.
It is often said that window seats are made for dreamers, aisle seats for workers and aisle for no one. Turns out both Alex and Paul are in for the experience and explain the reasons why.
VI. Airport of the week
Barcelona-El Prat airport has ambition. Alex and Paul talk about their experience there.