Flight 025. The true meaning of disruption in air travel. Innovations in the front of the cabin that trickle down to coach. A petition to prevent U.S. airlines from limiting leg room. A court decision that changes the game in passenger claims for delays in Europe. A smart-luggage startup proves not that smart after all. Quebec Airport put an Apple Watch on its wrist. United equips its flight attendant with iPhones and its frequent flyers with a secret program.
Captains' hat tips
Our thanks to Markus (STR), Cedric (CDG), Michael (FAB), Peter (BOH), Ivan (WAW), and Kendall (TXL) for their contributions to this episode and their feedback.
Note that due to the increasing incoming messages, we won't be able to thank everyone, nor reference all the news sent to us on each episode, for time's sake. please keep them going though! We really love the conversations and try to answer to each and everyone of you.
Special thanks to all those who hunted our last episode on Product Hunt.
News of the week
Disruption in air travel
- 3 Radical Ideas To Totally Disrupt Air Travel | Co.Design | business + design
- TEAGUE on Instagram
- The Disruptive Airline Concept That Puts Passengers First – Skift
LHR and pollution
Air India announces world's longest flight
- San Francisco to New Delhi flight could mark beginning of Air India’s turnaround | The Indian Express
- Air France Pilots Won't Budge, So The Airline Will Cut Flights and Routes – Skift
- Gatwick BA cabin crew face big pay cuts or redundancy | Business | The Guardian
Stop the leg room war
Innovation in seat design
- Seat-Maker Zodiac Falls as American Airlines Seeks to Sever Deal - Bloomberg Business
- The Qatar Airways A350 & a future double bed in business class
- New Saudia airliner offers ‘best seat in the world’ | Dr Asif Shahid
- The Aircraft Seat Supplier That Built a Business Designing a Better Premium – Skift
- 5 New Airline Cabin Features Changing the Way We Travel – Skift
- The Future of Flying Could Be More Like a Cruise – Skift
- Air Berlin Adds XL Seats To Long Haul Fleet
- This Brilliant New Design Makes the Middle Row the Best Seat on the Plane | Travel + Leisure
- Will Airlines Get Onboard With Easy-Boarding Side-Slip Seat? – Skift
- Airline seats with adjustable heights: Plan could spark mile-high fury | PerthNow
- We Found the Smart Aircraft Seat that Could Spare Millions of Passengers' Knees – Skift
Europe Court challenges airline excuses for delays
A lucky landing
- United CEO's Open Letter to Passengers: We Haven't Lived Up to Expectations – Skift
- United CEO talks coffee, bag fees and lousy flights - Chicago Tribune
- United Air (UAL) Pilots to CEO Munoz: Buyback Not Best Use of $3 Billion - TheStreet
- Inside United's Secret Club for Top Fliers - WSJ
- United Airlines is surprising its best customers with free upgrades. This is how the program works. — Brian Sumers
- United Begins New Secret Upgrade Program for Its Best Customers – Skift
- What Do You Know About United's Allegedly Creepy New App for Flight Attendants?
- United Airlines Hopes To Turn Corner With Friendlier Skies, Better Flight Management - Forbes
A non-smart Bluesmart?
Quebec airport and the Apple Watch
AirAsia is an internet company
Malaysian won't re-brand
The Emirates Jennifer Aniston ad
- Emirates A380 featuring Jennifer Aniston - YouTube (video)
- Jennifer Aniston Signs $5 Million Deal With Emirates - One Mile at a Time
- Are Celebrities Effective As A Branding Method For Airlines?
The Miami Dolphins and Heathrow
- A lot of people want to leave Joe Philbin at London's airport and London's airport is confused - SBNation.com
A teddy bear journey
Airport of the week